Re: Noob evaluation question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg74192] Re: Noob evaluation question
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 03:44:03 -0500 (EST)

heycarnut wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Helping a buddy out with a small application, and I'm drawing a blank
> on the following.
>
> Given :
>
>    Position[{1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9}, _?(# <= Random[Integer, {1,
> 9}] &)]
>
> How can we make the generated random number 'fixed' for the evaluation
> of Position, instead of a new number getting generated at each element
> of the list (the above is a simplified and contrived example.)
>
> Thanks
> Rob

One must evaluate the random number outside the iterative expression
(the function Position in this case). One way of doing this is,

In[1]:=
With[{rnd = Random[Integer, {1, 9}]},
   Print["Generated Random Number : ", rnd];
    Position[{1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9}, _?(#1 <= rnd & )]]

 From In[1]:=
Generated Random Number : 7

Out[1]=

Regards,