Re: Noob evaluation question

Thanks for all the answers!
The example we gave was contrived, as I said, so obviously we would
use Range[Random...]] if the example
was doing something real!

We did of course just evaluate the random before the evaluation of the
Position.

My question was not clear enough, I think. We were just curious if
there was a way to keep the statement 'purely functional', and use
something akin to hold/release to freeze the first value returned by
the Random. The answer appears to be no, matching our initial gut
feeling, though chris' answer comes close with using a helper function
- familiar to us from Lisp.

Thanks again, all!

Rob