Limiting range of variables when defining funxtions of several variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg74676] Limiting range of variables when defining funxtions of several variables
  • From: Michelasso <qzerty at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 01:27:45 -0500 (EST)

Hello everybody,
my problem is that I would like to plot a 3d graphic of a function of
two variables, restricted to domain D={(x,y): x>= 0, y>=0, y <= 1-x}.

I thought to define the function in this way:
test[x_,y_/; y <= 1-x]:= x+y

but this seems not to work, while it works for functions of one
variable, i.e.:
test2[x_/; x<= 1]:= 3x

So, am I doing some syntax error, or is there some other kind of
problems with my definition?