Re: Problem with reading version 4.2 DumpSave files,...
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg75585] Re: Problem with reading version 4.2 DumpSave files,...
- From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
- Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 06:14:22 -0400 (EDT)
- Organization: The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
terry wrote: > Dear Mathematica Guru's, > > Because of a Mathematica bug (which still isn't fixed in the just > released version 6), my version 4.2 DumpSave files cannot be read by > my version 5.2. So as a result I'm trying to find a way to _exactly_ > write out these numbers to a pure ascii text file from within 4.2, > then read them in as text and convert them back into number form > within 5.2 without losing any digits. Any idea's how I could > accomplish this simply? > > Note that simply saving the approximate real numbers with Save and > retreiving them will not work in this case because Save 'distorts' > the numbers even if they are loaded back into the same version of > Mathematica (when it converts to base 10 and back). > > Thanks in advance! > > Regards, > Terry > > ToString and NumberForm should be what you need before Export. Knowing nothing about the kind of numbers you are dealing with and the data structure, it is hard to tell more. You can check the following thread to see some examples of the above mentioned functions in action. http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2007/Apr/msg00523.html Regards, Jean-Marc