Re: Pi upto a Billion Digits

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg75682] Re: [mg75637] Pi upto a Billion Digits
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 06:00:28 -0400 (EDT)

Essentially no time at all!

Upon trying to evaluate the cell on my Windows XP machine with 2GB of
RAM, I got an immediate "No more memory available. Mathematica kernel
has shut down." message.  (This is with my normal complement of other
programs running: Thunderbird, Firefox, and all sorts of background
utilities including Google Desktop indexing, background degragger, AV,
anti-spyware, and firewall.)

Raj wrote:
> hi!
> Could somebody tell me if they ever tried finding Pi upto a billion
> digits using the N function:
> N[Pi,10^9] and how long did it take?
> Thanks,
> Raj