Re: Reading coordinates from a 2D Plot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75767] Re: Reading coordinates from a 2D Plot
  • From: Pratik Desai <pratikd at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 05:11:55 -0400 (EDT)

On May 9, 3:54 am, Dr Reinhard Simonovits <Reinhard.Simonov...@uni-
graz.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In previous versions of Mathematica under Windows, you could read the
> x,y-coordinates of  a point, say the min of x^2 + 5. You could
> measure the minimum by clicking on the graphics and paste it in an
> input cell for further processing.
> The coordinates were also displayed in the lower left corner of the window.
>
> With repeated steps one could get a lot of coordinates and fit them
> with e.g. NonlinearFit.
>
> How do I do it in Mathematica 6? I need this features badly for my students.
>
> -Reinhard
> --
>               Dr. Reinhard Simonovits
> Handelsakademie  |  Karl Franzens University
> Math Department  |  Inst. for Mathematics
> Grazbachgasse 71 |  Heinrichstrasse 36
>                A-8010 Graz, Austria
>
> Email: Reinhard.Simonov... at uni-graz.at

Hello Reinhard,

In Mathematica 6 there are several way to do this, here are two using
ClickPane and EventHandler

f[x_] := x^2 + 5

ls = {}

ClickPane[Plot[f[x], {x, -5, 5}, PlotRange -> {Automatic, {-5, 20}}],
 AppendTo[ls, #] &]

Dynamic@ls

ls = {}

EventHandler[
 Plot[f[x], {x, -5, 5}, PlotRange -> {Automatic, {-5, 20}}],
 "MouseDown" :> AppendTo[ls, MousePosition["Graphics"]]]

Dynamic@ls

Hope this helps. Note that one has to evaluate all the inputs to see
the dynamic evaluations.

Thanks

Pratik Desai
Wolfram Research