Working with D, definition of a function

Hi,

I have defined a map

ComPath[w_, mu_, bias_] := mu*(\[ImaginaryI]*w + 1)^2 + bias;
Now, I would like to use the derivative with respect to w as a further
function.

D[ComPath[w, mu, 0], w]

gives the answer I expect, but

ComPathPrime[w_, mu_] := D[ComPath[w, mu, 0], w];

doesn't seem to make sense

ComPathPrime[2, 1]

results in

General::ivar : 2 is  not a valid variable.

If it seems I have a lack of knowledge about the internals of Mathmatica -
that's right.

Can you briefly explain why this should not work?

Best,

Thomas