v.6 Editing Stylesheets

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76187] v.6 Editing Stylesheets
  • From: Helen Read <read at math.uvm.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 06:07:28 -0400 (EDT)

So I'm trying to make a custom stylesheet in 6.0. I started off the same
way I normally do, by going to Format, Edit Stylesheet. Now, the 6.0
documentation claims that a dialog should offer a choice of

Edit New Private Stylesheet
Edit Private Copy of Shared Stylesheet
Edit Shared Stylesheet

This didn't happen though. Instead, up came a window
PrivateStyleDefinitions for the current notebook. Here one is faced with
a dropdown menu Choose a Style to Modify, which unfortunately, includes
only a subset of the styles. I can edit the styles listed in the
dropdown menu, and can add new styles, but cannot find a way to edit
other existing styles not listed in the menu. In particular, I would
like to modify the style (just the color, really) for UnmatchedBracket,
which seems to be inherited from the core.nb stylesheet. Since it's not
on the Choose a Style to Modify menu, I tried adding a style for it, but
it doesn't work. UnmatchedBrackets in the notebook I'm working in
continue to be that purply color defined in core.nb, which (to my eyes)
doesn't stand out enough.

I had nice, bright red UnmatchedBracket in a custom stylesheet created
in 5.2, but now when I open up those files in 6.0, the UnmatchedBracket
style no longer works at all (it's not even getting the purply color;
unmatched brackets are not distinguished in any way).

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont