Re: Where is the Mathematica Book in

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76169] Re: Where is the Mathematica Book in
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 05:58:11 -0400 (EDT)

W. Craig Carter wrote:
> Many things in Mathematica 6 are an improvement---I have to
> agree that the documentation center is not one of them.  I
> often (and prefer to in many cases) work offline. Having the
> Mathematica book while working on an airplane was very
> useful.
>
> However, I do appreciate the ability to create multiple
> help-center windows.
>
> WCC
>
>> The Mathematica Book is online at
>>
>> http://documents.wolfram.com/mathematica/book/
>> On Mon, 14 May 2007 02:49:32 -0500, Mark Adler <madler at alumni.caltech.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The old help function was actually helpful.

Yes, indeed - please will Wolfram pull together the 6.0 documentation,
combine it with those parts of the 5.2 book that are still valid (most
of it) and create an up-to-date version of the Mathematica book! I
agree, that too many trees would be consumed to print the thing, so it
would only be available electronically. However it is necessary to have
well thought out continuous prose to put features into their correct
context.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk