Re: Re: A harmless and amusing bug

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76369] Re: [mg76283] Re: A harmless and amusing bug
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 02:38:49 -0400 (EDT)
On 19 May 2007, at 17:31, dimitris wrote:

> What I don't understand however is that neither
>
> FullSimplify[y == z]
>
> nor
>
> FullSimplify[y == z, ComplexityFunction -> LeafCount]
>
> returns True as it should be! Something happens here.

There is no reason to expect this. Programs do what they are
programmed to do and FullSimplify and Simplify do not "go into" the
body ofr fucntions to simplify them. Anyway, even  Map[Simplify,y]
==Map[Simplify,z] will not work because of the HoldAll attribute of
Function. Instead just use:

y === Map[Evaluate, z]
True

That's all there is to this phenomenon.