Re: [Mathematica 6] Sudden shutdown of Mathematica. No error messages, no traces, no warning. Mathematica just disappears from desktop

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76383] Re: [mg76376] [Mathematica 6] Sudden shutdown of Mathematica. No error messages, no traces, no warning. Mathematica just disappears from desktop
  • From: "Lev Bishop" <lev.bishop+mathgroup at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 05:56:08 -0400 (EDT)

On 5/20/07, Nasser Abbasi  wrote:
> I've noticed this now more than one time. I would say this has happened to
> me about 5-6 times already since I started using Mathematica 6 which is
> about 2 weeks now.
>
> This is what happens: I'll be working on an open notebook, and do something,
> for example, just now, I went to do SAVE AS to save the notebook.
>
> Mathematica would just disappear in split second.
>
> No errors, nothing. I look and it is just gone. All windows gone. No traces.
> I have to restart Mathematica.
>
> And I just lost all my work for the last 30 minutes.

Yes, I've seen this behaviour. About once every couple days. It's
somewhat strange but it's one of the more innocuous ways that
mathematica can misbehave for me:

Kernel crashes with microsoft error dialog but frontend still working:
This happens several times a day (or almost 100% of the time I
evaluate certain problematic statements eg: CoefficientArrays[{{z^3}},
z, Symmetric -> True] -- I reported that one to WRI against 5.2 but
it's still in 6.0)

Kernel shuts itself down with an out-of-memory message:
This happens frequently for certain calculations using moderately
large sparse arrays, but I wouldn't think they were *that* large,
given that I have 2Gb of RAM, and I can sometimes get away with
processing arrays that are 10 times bigger. (I already have
$HistoryLength=0).

Frontend crashes with microsoft error dialog: 2 or 3 times a day.
Annoying if you haven't saved recently.

Mathematica shuts down without any warning or error message, just
poof: gone, as you described: one every 2 days.

Mathematica gets itself into a tight loop and doesn't respond to Abort
requests, needs to be killed from the task manager -- usually only
happens when there's a mistake in my code. With 5.2 would happen a
couple times a day while I was developing, but otherwise almost never.
With 6.0 I haven't been writing so many new routines so far, so I
haven't seen this problem yet. Maybe it's fixed.

Mathematica gets itself into a tight loop, doesn't respond to Abort
requests, starts thrashing the pagefile so hard that the computer
becomes unusable and has to be hard-reset. Saw this every couple of
weeks with 5.2, seen it once so far with 6.0 (in one week of use).

Mathematica crashes while saving and corrupts the notebook you were
working on. (Hope you had a recent backup) Saw this 4 or 5 times with
5.2, thankfully not so far with 6.0.

Lev