Re: Re: Re: change $UserDocumentsDirectory

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76484] Re: [mg76420] Re: [mg76391] Re: [mg76346] change $UserDocumentsDirectory
  • From: "Lev Bishop" <lev.bishop at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 05:13:17 -0400 (EDT)

On 5/22/07, Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu> wrote:
> What I'm trying to accomplish by changing $HomeDirectory is very simple:
> when the Save As dialog comes up, the default location will be where _I_
> want it to be (in e:\temp) instead of the Mathematica default of what
> I've set in Windows as the equivalent of My Documents.  Directory temp
> is where I'm working now; Documents is stuff I'm saving "forever".

Then I don't think changing $HomeDirectory or $UserDocumentsDirectory
will do what you're looking for.

I think the "Save As..." default directory comes from either 1) the
current directory the notebook you're working on is in; or, if it's a
brand new document 2) the last place you "Save as.."ed a new file to
(as stored in Options[$FrontEnd,NotebookBrowseDirectory]. So, if you
want to change the location that gets used in the "Save As..." dialog,
just save one file there. That's  how it works for me, anyway. I guess
that since you're asking, though, that's not how it works for you.

Lev