Best strategy for using Drawing Tools

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg76580] Best strategy for using Drawing Tools
  • From: Hugh <h.g.d.goyder at cranfield.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 06:06:20 -0400 (EDT)

You have just done a plot say

Plot[{3 Sin[x], 4 Cos[x]}, {x, 0, 4 Pi}]

and now you use Drawing Tools from the pull down menu to add text,
arrows and other additions to the plot. However, to your horror, you
find that the original plot was wrong and you wanted 5 Cos not 4 Cos.
If you change the input and re-evaluate, a new output cell  is created
without the additions generated by Drawing Tools. Thankfully the old
output is still there, as well, as a second output cell. The problem
is to copy the Drawing Tools additons onto the new output.

My poor solution is to convert the old output with additions to
InputForm, using the Cell Convert menu, and then to  copy the
additions  to an Epilog  option in the original plot so it becomes

Plot[{3 Sin[x], 5 Cos[x]}, {x, 0, 4 Pi},  Epilog -> {copied
primitives}]

Then re - evaluate and the additions are on the plot. This is a poor
solution and  I can't change the additions dynamically.

What is the proper way of saving your work in these circumstances?

Thanks Hugh Goyder