Re: What is the precedence wrt Mathematica infix operators

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82833] Re: What is the precedence wrt Mathematica infix operators
  • From: Norbert Marxer <marxer at mec.li>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 05:07:24 -0500 (EST)

On 31 Okt., 12:24, congruentialumina... at yahoo.com wrote:
> Hello Mathematica UG:
>
> I cannot find operator precedence documented anywhere. With the
> operators from Fortran (in the old days) this was always clear, i.e
> '/' before '-'.
>
> I have been reading some code in the Trott Guidebooks which has
> constructions like 'Head @@ face[[i]] / order'. I can guess that Part
> has precedence in this expression, but what about Apply vs. Times?
>
> Looking at the OutputForm shows that Apply has precendence. But,...
>
> - Is this documented somewhere?
> - Do all Mathematica operators take precedence over arithmetic operators?
>
> TIA.
>
> Regards..

Hello

Enter "tutorial/InputSyntax" in the text field in the Documentation
Center and hit return.
Then scroll down to the section "Operator Input Forms".
There you will find a long table with operators in decreasing
precedence. One column also tells you how these operators are grouped.

Another way to find out about precedence is clicking in the expression
and repeatedly enlarge the selection with Ctrl . (i.e. pres Ctrl and
the point) or clicking the left mouse button repeatedly (fast).

I hope this helps.

Best Regards
Norbert Marxer