Re: FindRoot and Bose-Einstein distribution

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82869] Re: FindRoot and Bose-Einstein distribution
  • From: P_ter <peter_van_summeren at yahoo.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 05:26:03 -0500 (EST)

Hello,
I checked the sums for stability. Seems ok up until i=100000.
Also: I did Newton-Raphson to solve this problem, into quite a few decimals.

But, I could not do it with Mathematica's FindRoot.
The two values mm and mn result in a first(!!) order approximation to p and q given in my mail. And reverse.

It is that I do not understand why such a beast as FindRoot comes with so nasty messages. Of course I accept that finding a root has a kind of art in it.
But calculating myself a first order approximation in two simple lines of code with only Log[] in it and that FindRoot can not find the roots, still urges me to ask: what did I do wrong?
with friendly greetings,
P_ter