Re: Re: get help info into my program

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82893] Re: [mg82844] Re: get help info into my program
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 03:35:16 -0500 (EST)

Sorry, I missed the original message to quote below.  There are two
separate issues:

(1) Writing "?" help for your own function.  That is accomplished by
defining a string for your function MyFunc in the form:

   usage::MyFunc="MyFunc[arg1,arg2] give the result..."

(2) Making the usage message for any function -- whether for a built-in
function or a user-defined function (for which you defined a
corresponding usage message) -- be printed within a program.

For that, use:

   Information[functionName]

For example:

   Information[Plot]
   Information[myFunc]

Of course if this is one of several commands within a compound
expression, e.g., within a Module, then you'll want to wrap that with a
Print function:

    Module[{vars}, doThis; Print[Information[myFunc]]; doThat]

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305