Re: Problem with supplying custom tick marks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82922] Re: Problem with supplying custom tick marks
  • From: Thomas E Burton <tburton at brahea.com>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 03:29:38 -0500 (EST)

The help for Ticks in Version 6 (same behavior in v5) says in part
"Tick mark lengths are given as a fraction of the distance across the
whole plot." Hence, the ratio of x-tick lengths to y-tick lengths
will be in proportion to AspectRatio. The  x-ticks seem therefore to
be foreshortened by the default aspect ratio of 1/GoldRatio. It is
thus no surprise that your x-ticks looks short.  A quick and dirty
correction is

xticks1 = xticks /. {l_Real, 0} :> {l/ar, 0}

Block[{ar = 1/2},
   Plot[5*Sin[x], {x, 0, 15}, Frame -> True, FrameTicks -> {xticks1,
Automatic, None, None},
        AspectRatio -> ar]
]

which looks good to me at all aspect ratios I tried, above and below
1.  Apparently, the default option Automatic adjusts for aspect
ratio. I am surprised that this adjustment is not reflected in the
result of AbsoluteOptions.  I am also surprised that the problem you
cite seems to be confined to aspect ratios below 1. To my eye, using
xticks with AspectRatio->3 looks OK. Perhaps it's an optical illusion.

Tom

David Park had written: