Re: Parallel computations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82919] Re: Parallel computations
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 03:28:05 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

it is not clear *what* you wish to do with your Mathematica.
If you have a lot self programmed symbolic stuff you should
use the Personal Grid Edition and the Parallel Computing Toolkit.

If you have a lot of numeric stuff with matrix operations or
a lot of interactive or graphic applications the SMP support
of Mathematica would do be sufficient.

I'm sure, that with Mathematica, a shared cache is the very last
thing you should think about ... that is a question if you
have a C/C++ program that should run parallel and not if you have
a interpreter like Mathematica that pack every data into a buffered
(Math)Link and send it to an second and third kernel -- this is
all light years slower than a shared/not-shared cache.

BTW I have a large image processing toolkit that run parallel
on SMP machines and the most of it, is written in C++ and
the Parallel Computing Toolkit was never an option, because the
data exchange via a shared memory link was always to slow ...

Regards
   Jens