Re: Converting notebooks to use Mathematica Player

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82916] Re: Converting notebooks to use Mathematica Player
  • From: "Steve Luttrell" <steve at _removemefirst_luttrell.org.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 03:26:32 -0500 (EST)

I just noticed that my previous response to you wasn't inserted at the
correct position in the conversation thread. Maybe that is why I haven't had
a response (hint, hint!). Here it is again:

Your correction (i.e. SaveDefinitions->True) doesn't fully solve the
problem, because although it ensures that Manipulate is now active, it is
not as active as I intended it to be.

1. In Mathematica 6 your corrected version shows the behaviour that I
intended, i.e. a 2D Ising model that continuously updates itself when the
"update" check box is selected.

2. In Mathematica Player (Windows XP, with no other Wolfram products
installed) the behaviour is not like this, because the only updating that
you get is the initial randomisation when you select the "update" check box.
A little experimentation reveals that if the Player window does NOT have
focus then the Ising model updates DO occur! Irrespective of the focus of
the Player window Mathkernel.exe + MathematicaPlayer.exe use almost 100% of
the CPU time.

--
Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK