Re: Dynamic palette of open notebooks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82928] Re: Dynamic palette of open notebooks
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 03:32:44 -0500 (EST)

The following is an example of how one might go about doing this.
However, I word of warning: this is a buggy example.  This is not
because of the code itself, but because of a notebook redrawing bug in
Mathematica (at least on the Mac).  The bug is that when one opens and
closes notebooks, the palette that this code has created will update
in a way that obscures the top of its notebook window in a way that
the operating system close button will be "below" an un-deleted
button.

This bug has been duly reported to Wolfram Research and is in the
queue...

I created this bit of code a while back thinking that a generalization
of it might be good as a replacement--or an adjunct--for the All
Notebooks Palette

http://scientificarts.com/worklife/documentation/allnotebookspalette.html

in A WorkLife Framework

http://scientificarts.com/worklife/

Here is the code:

notebooksPalette[] :=
 DynamicModule[{pagewidth, allNotebooks, names, buttons}, pagewidth =
100;
  allNotebooks = Dynamic[Refresh[Notebooks[], UpdateInterval -> 1]];
  names = Dynamic[
    CurrentValue[#, "NotebookFileName"] & /@ First[allNotebooks]];
  buttons =
   Dynamic[Column[
     Button[Style[#[[1]], 10, Bold, Darker@Blue],
SetSelectedNotebook[#[[2]]],
         Appearance -> "Palette", Alignment -> Left,
        ImageSize -> {pagewidth, All}] & /@
      Transpose[{First[names], First[allNotebooks]}]]];
  CreateWindow@
   PaletteNotebook[buttons, PageWidth -> pagewidth, WindowSize ->
All]]

I hope this helps!

And, of course you should download the fully functional trial version
of A WorkLife Framework from

http://scientificarts.com/worklife/trial.html

--David
A WorkLife FrameWork
E x t e n d i n g MATHEMATICA's Reach...