Re: How to get the options for ListPlot in V6

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82960] Re: How to get the options for ListPlot in V6
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 04:58:28 -0500 (EST)

This is just another case where Mathematica graphics is messing around with
what is displayed in a plot but not leaving a public record of it. It is
very poor practice on the part of WRI. There were certainly many brilliant
advances in Version 6 graphics but precise control of ticks and the internal
bypassing of options is not one of them.

Here is your case again. Clearly, PlotRange and AxesOrigin do not reflect
the displayed plot.

test1list = Sin[2 \[Pi] Range[0, 1, .1]] + 10;
plot1 =
 ListPlot[test1list]
AbsoluteOptions[plot1, {PlotRange, AxesOrigin}]

However, if we put almost anything in the plot that requires absolute
coordinates then the options will reflect the displayed plot. For example,
we can use Filling.

plot1 = ListPlot[test1list, Filling -> 10]
AbsoluteOptions[plot1, {PlotRange, AxesOrigin}]

Or we could use Tooltips.

plot1 = ListPlot[Tooltip@test1list]
AbsoluteOptions[plot1, {PlotRange, AxesOrigin}]

Probably the best solution is to use DataRange.

plot1 = ListPlot[test1list, DataRange -> Automatic]
AbsoluteOptions[plot1, {PlotRange, AxesOrigin}]

Another solution is to give an explicit PlotRange.

plot1 = ListPlot[test1list, PlotRange -> {{0, 11}, {9, 11}}]
AbsoluteOptions[plot1, {PlotRange, AxesOrigin}]

However, if we specify only the vertical PlotRange then the horizontal
PlotRange is still incorrect.

plot1 = ListPlot[test1list, PlotRange -> {9, 11}]
AbsoluteOptions[plot1, {PlotRange, AxesOrigin}]

Nor does specifying the AxesOrigin correct the PlotRange.

plot1=ListPlot[test1list,AxesOrigin->{0,10}]
AbsoluteOptions[plot1,{PlotRange,AxesOrigin}]

I don't think there is a reasonable explanation for this behavior from the
standpoint of a user interface. It is just poor code and poor design.

--
David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/