Divider Lines with TableHeadings?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83040] Divider Lines with TableHeadings?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 06:12:23 -0500 (EST)

I don't like the divider line that is inserted under the column labels
if you Print or display a table using the TableHeadings option.  It
crowds down too tightly on the first row of tabular data, at least for
my visual taste.

I also don't find any documentation of where this line comes from, at
least in a quick search of the Help system.

But a little experimentation shows that if you use

   TableForm[ Prepend[ myTable, { } ],
      TableHeadings -> {None, {myColumnLabels}} ]

the horizontal divider line disappears -- and you get a single blank
line between the column headings and the tabular data, which generally
looks pretty good.