Re: Re: Can you get a package back to a notebook easily?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83037] Re: [mg83003] Re: Can you get a package back to a notebook easily?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 06:10:47 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 06:29:53 -0500 (EST), Szabolcs Horv=E1t wrote:
> David Reiss wrote:
>
>> Actually, in Version 6+ the answer is no.
>>
>> The initialization cells are saved, and some other classes of cells
>> are contained as comments with special information that allows them to
>> still be viewed when the .m file opened in Mathematica.
>>
>> Try it out and then open the .m file in a text editor to see this...
>>
> Can you give an example?  Before I replied, I tried it with a notebook
> that only had input cells and text cells.  Only the initialization input
> cells were saved.
>
> Szabolcs

It depends upon the method of saving.  Auto-saved packages do not include
non-initialization cells (they did in 6.0.0, actually, but that was corrected
later).  But working with the package editor (File->New->Package) or using Save
As for the Package file type will preserve other cells in comments.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group