Re: Can you get a package back to a notebook easily?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83032] Re: Can you get a package back to a notebook easily?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 06:08:09 -0500 (EST)

In article <fgs7k8$3gb$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com> wrote:

> David Reiss wrote:
> > Actually, in Version 6+ the answer is no.
> >
> > The initialization cells are saved, and some other classes of cells
> > are contained as comments with special information that allows them to
> > still be viewed when the .m file opened in Mathematica.
> >
> > Try it out and then open the .m file in a text editor to see this...
>
> Can you give an example?  Before I replied, I tried it with a notebook
> that only had input cells and text cells.  Only the initialization input
> cells were saved.
>
> Szabolcs

Or better, after developing and testing in notebook form a lengthy
module that I want to convert to package form, I'd like to have a
specific set of instructions on how to:

* Convert the notebook to a package

* Save/install the package  [To where? And how?]

* Save/preserve the notebook also [Where? And how?]

so that I can when needed, edit or modify the original notebook and
repeat the process.

The problem is not so much "how to write a package"; it's finding, all
in one place, the above specific instructions on how to manage it