memory release problem in mathematica6.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83182] memory release problem in mathematica6.0
  • From: jack <giabernar at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 04:45:24 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,
When i define large data structures, for example an array  "A" of
million  of elements that occupy some  hundreds of MB of physical
memory,when i clear it, with Clear[A] memory isn' t released by
operating system. I' ve tried both on windows and linux.
The result of MemoryInUse[] command of mathematica but the physical
memory reported by the system monitor isn't released.
I' ve tried also ClearSystemCache[] but with no result.
Am i missing something?

Thanks!