Does ColorFunction-> have different meanings to Plot3D and

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83276] Does ColorFunction-> have different meanings to Plot3D and
  • From: congruentialuminaire at yahoo.com
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 05:41:11 -0500 (EST)

Hello Mathematica UG:

I made a very simple 3D plot using a CF:

Plot3D[Sin[x + y^2], {x, -3, 3}, {y, -2, 2},  ColorFunction -> (Hue[#]
&)]

Then I made a contour plot of the identical function, also with CF:

ContourPLot[Sin[x + y^2], {x, -3, 3}, {y, -2, 2},  ColorFunction ->
(Hue[#] &)]

Since I am using the identical function passed to the 2 plotting
routines, I expect the color to show analogously. Specifically in the
Plot3D, the color bands are straight and parallel to the y-axis. In
the ContourPlot, the bands are curved with the contours.

Is it possible to make the CF correspond so that when both plots are
shown, the color shows the correspondence between the plots (since the
functions plotted are the same)? Alternatively, is there some other CF
I can use with ContourPlot to accomplish the desired result?

TIA.

Regards..Roger W.