trying to Import[] USGS-resident DEM data

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83366] trying to Import[] USGS-resident DEM data
  • From: congruentialuminaire at yahoo.com
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 04:52:45 -0500 (EST)

Hello Mathematica UG:

I am trying to Import[] and ReliefPlot[] the DEM data resident on the
USGS site using the following statment:

Import["http://bard.wr.usgs.gov/bard/dem/dems24k/sfbay_10meter/
gzip_dems/sf_north.dem.gz", "ColorFunction" -> "DarkTerrain",
"DownsamplingFactor" -> 4]

This command only dumps out large numbers of points (i.e. no plot).

I attended the V6 Import/Export session taught by Wolfram where the
following command was demonstrated and works on my system:

Import["ExampleData/hailey.dem.gz", "ColorFunction" -> "DarkTerrain",
"DownsamplingFactor" -> 4]

Other parameters we learned in the class apparently work (such as
"Elements" and "Data"). I did notice that "SpatialRange" emits this
error message:

Import::noelem: The Import element "SpatialRange" is not present when
importing as Text.

Has anyone else had any experience trying to accomplish this type of
Import[]? Can this command be made to work?

TIA.

Regards..Roger W.