Re: instantiate GUI or graphic elements interactively

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83405] Re: [mg83372] instantiate GUI or graphic elements interactively
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 06:22:18 -0500 (EST)

So far as I am aware, there is at present no such built-in visual
GUI-creating functionality in Mathematica (although one could,
undoubtedly with considerable effort, define a function that allowed
some of that functionality).

One place you can see such a built-in GUI-producing functionality is
with the free programming development system "J" (look up "JSoftware" in
Google, e.g.).

I think it would be a great step forward in usability if such
functionality would be provided, though.  But it is contrary to a
mind-set/philosophy that seems to underlie Mathematica, namely, that one
must ultimately write code in order to accomplish anything, including
producing a GUI.

Of course there are cracks in that stone wall, such as the new 2D
graphics annotation tools.  Maybe some day WRI will be ready to take the
next step.  But before they provide built-in visual GUI-building
capabilities, I'd be just as happy if they first provided
right-click-enabled graphics-modification tools that go well beyond
what's currently available with the 2D drawing tools and the graphics
inspector -- for example, interactive ways to change the PlotRange of
the axes labels or the choice of tick marks or their labeling.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305