Matching string in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83414] Matching string in Mathematica
  • From: "Coleman, Mark" <Mark.Coleman at LibertyMutual.com>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 03:44:13 -0500 (EST)

Greetings

I've got a large-sized file with a list of names (a couple of million
records). I'd like to organize this data by individual name, so that I
can perform a variety of statistical analyses for any given name a user
may input. The problem, naturally, is that these names were drawn from a
database where the name field was free-form text. Thus the same
underlying name can have many different permutations of spelling,
punctuation, abbreviation, etc.

Given the powerful string processing features, it seems Mathematica v6 might be
a good choice for cleaning up this data. I'm wondering if anyone on
MathGroup has used successfully used Mathematica in this context?

Thanks,

-Mark

Mark S. Coleman
Manager, Claims Analytics

Personal Market Claims
Liberty Mutual
175 Berkeley Street, Mail Stop 02J
Boston, MA  02116

Mark.Coleman at libertymutual.com
(617) 654-4572  SDN: 8-654-4572
NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission
is intended by Liberty Mutual for the use of the named individual or
entity to which it is directed and may contain information that is
privileged or otherwise confidential. If you have received this
electronic mail transmission in error, please delete it from your system
without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by
reply e-mail or by telephone (collect), so that the sender's address
records can be corrected.