Re: Matching string in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83528] Re: Matching string in Mathematica
  • From: congruentialuminaire at yahoo.com
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 04:47:49 -0500 (EST)

Hello Mark:

Here is a brief "design sketch" outlining how I would approach this
problem...

Although the solution to this problem is related to string matching, I
would start with a different approach, cluster analysis. This can be
leveraged using another (new in V6) function, namely FindCluster.

There are lots of options to use for the DistanceFunction-> and an
exploratory approach would be needed that is tailored to your
application.

Of course, there is also a need of a measure to pick the "center" of
each cluster.

Then you can map each record to its respective center.

Then you can determine which string match/replacement methods to use
to "clean up" the data.

Finally, my impression is that lots of people want to keep some
"misspellings" (i.e. Kirsten vs. Kristen).

HTH.

Regards..Roger W.