Importing and manipulating text files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83482] Importing and manipulating text files
  • From: jpalko at andrew.cmu.edu
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 02:57:44 -0500 (EST)

I have a a large text file saved in notepad that i would like to
import into Mathematica and break up by columns.  I am able to import
the file but I have no idea how to break up the data.  The data is
seperated by commas.  In Mathematica the data comes in as a table with
5 places {1,2,3,4,5}. There are about 2500 data sets of this.  I would
like to take the specific place value from each data set ({1,2,3,4,5})
and make a column of data mathematica can use.  For example, I would
like to take the the second value from all 2500 data sets and turn it
into a seperate list of data. I am not sure if this is possible.  Does
anyone have any experience with this?  Thanks.