Re: Scalars Instead of Lists with One Element

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83449] Re: Scalars Instead of Lists with One Element
  • From: Thomas E Burton <tburton at brahea.com>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 02:40:16 -0500 (EST)

Your example below confuses your question, because if x={2,7} then x
[[1]==2 && x[[2]]==7. I recall an earlier post of yours, however, in
which you wanted lists of one element to be replaced by that element.
The following simple rule does this

r1={e_}:>e

For example,

In[265]:= {{3,4},{2},{1,2},{3}}/.r1
Out[265]= {{3,4},2,{1,2},3}

This simple rule and application can be tweaked to avoid failures in
special cases. Read the docs.