Re: Stream programming

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83702] Re: Stream programming
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at arcor.net>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 05:44:42 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

> I'd like to read a continuous stream of data from a socket, process it
> with Mathematica, and send the results as a stream out another socket.
> If Mathematica can do this, could you point me to the right place in
> the documentation to learn more? I read about Stream operations, but
> it doesn't sound right.

I don't know about a direct access to sockets from within Mathematica -
which does not mean it isn't there somewhere. Searching the
documentation center didn't give anything useful. My guess is that your
best bet is to use JLink or - if you are on Windows - NetLink for direct
socket access. If you are an experienced system programmer and have good
knowledge of C you could also consider to use "low level" mathlink.

Anyway, maybe someone else knows more about this, for sure Wolfram's
developer staff should know every detail...

albert