Re: Plot3D with NDSolve

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81665] Re: Plot3D with NDSolve
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 04:43:14 -0400 (EDT)

sean_incali wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> Let's say I can solve the following DE that depends on 2 paparmeters a
> and b, and plot it accordingly.
>
> eqn = y'[x] == b/(a y[x])
> par = {a -> 1, b -> 1}
>
> solution = NDSolve[{eqn /. par, y[0] == 0.1}, y, {x, 0.1, 5}];
>
> Plot[y[x] /. solution, {x, 0.1, 5}];
>
> Above shows a 2d graph in x and y axes.
>

> What I want to do is now use one of the parameter as z axis.
>
> So I need to solve the DE while varying a from 1 to 5 for instance.
>
> Then I want to graph the solutions as a 3D object. with x. y and a
> axis (where a will be the new z axis.)
>
> I guess I can use Table to iterate the whole procedure, but I wanted
> to see how others would approach it.

I would use Table too:

sol = Join @@ Table[y /. NDSolve[{y'[x] == 1/(a*y[x]), y[0] == 0.1},
                y, {x, 0.1, 5}], {a, 1, 5, 0.1}];

mat = Through[sol[Range[0.1, 5, 0.1]]];

ListPlot3D[mat]

> For instance, if I use
>
> eqn = y'[x] == b/(a y[x])
> par = {b -> 1}
>
> solution = Table[NDSolve[{eqn /. par, y[0] == 0.1}, y, {x, 0.1, 5}],
> {a, 1, 5}];
>
> Plot[Evaluate[y[x] /. solution], {x, 0.1, 5}];
>
> It will shows all the solutions in one 2D graph. I want to see them in
> 3D.
>
> On the side note.. Why does the Plot require the "Evaluate" in the
> second code I posted and not in the first code???

This is because (in Mathematica <= 5.2) if Plot gets a single expression
as its first argument (instead of a list), it expects it to evaluate to
a single number (not a list of numbers).  But here I would use
Evaluate[] in the first case too to avoid evaluating ReplaceAll for each
point.

--
Szabolcs