Re: What is the purpose of the Defer Command?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg82122] Re: What is the purpose of the Defer Command?
- From: Vince Virgilio <blueschi at gmail.com>
- Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 03:04:49 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <email@example.com><firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Oct 9, 5:34 am, "David Park" <djmp... at comcast.net> wrote: > Still, my question is: "What is the purpose of the Defer Command?" > > The only potential purpose that I can see is for didactic purposes, to show > preliminary expressions before they are automatically evaluated. But the > only way to get Defer to evaluate is by copying and pasting and then > evaluating, by using Shift-Ctrl-L and then evaluating, or by evaluating in > place. All of these operations leave no record of the steps taken. That goes > contrary to any didactic purpose. > > -- > David Park > djmp... at comcast.nethttp://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/ Have you noticed the example in the documentation (http:// reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/Defer.html) that uses Defer to create cells with unevaluated contents? That has didactic potential. Can that example be rewritten without Defer, with similar complexity? Vince Virgilio