Re: Re: What is the purpose of the Defer Command?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg82147] Re: [mg82122] Re: What is the purpose of the Defer Command?
  • From: DrMajorBob <drmajorbob at>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 03:52:56 -0400 (EDT)

How about this?

    Print[save[n] = HoldForm[Integrate[x^n Exp[-x], {x, 0, 1}]]]] /@

That gives the same outputs as the Defer example and it allows, for

save[3] // ReleaseHold

6 - 16/\[ExponentialE]

We can use Defer almost the same way, however:

    Print[save[n] = Defer[Integrate[x^n Exp[-x], {x, 0, 1}]]]] /@

6 - 16/\[ExponentialE]

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 02:04:49 -0500, Vince Virgilio <blueschi at>

> On Oct 9, 5:34 am, "David Park" <djmp... at> wrote:
>> Still, my question is: "What is the purpose of the Defer Command?"
>> The only potential purpose that I can see is for didactic purposes, to
>> show
>> preliminary expressions before they are automatically evaluated. But the
>> only way to get Defer to evaluate is by copying and pasting and then
>> evaluating,  by using Shift-Ctrl-L and then evaluating, or by
>> evaluating in
>> place. All of these operations leave no record of the steps taken. That
>> goes
>> contrary to any didactic purpose.
>> --
>> David Park
>> djmp... at comcast.net
> Have you noticed the example in the documentation (http://
> that uses Defer to
> create cells with unevaluated contents? That has didactic potential.
> Can that example be rewritten without Defer, with similar complexity?
> Vince Virgilio

DrMajorBob at