Re: Run notebook so graphs are displayed and not their code

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82230] Re: Run notebook so graphs are displayed and not their code
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 03:17:47 -0400 (EDT)

Tom,

As an alternative, you can close-up the graphics Input cells in your
notebook. Select the cell bracket and use Menu -> Cell -> Cell Properties ->
Open. You can also use Alt-CPO. This permanently closes the cell. To open it
up again do the same thing. If the cell is selected it can be evaluated, or
if the whole notebook is evaluated the cell will evaluate. Or you could also
make it an initialization cell. You will have to do this for each graphics
cell because you will probably not want to close up all input cells.

This does leave a very thin space in the notebook, and if Input cells have a
color it will have a thin band of color.

I do this all the time and my only problem is that after I close-up the
Input cell I'm always finding an additional change I want to make. However,
once you learn Alt-CPO the cells can be opened and closed fast enough.

You can also do the same thing with derivations. You can do a number of
calculational steps in a single cell, perhaps using % and %% and
interspersing Print statements that annotate the steps you are doing. If you
also put Text cells with textual exposition between Input cells you then end
up with a notebook that reads very much like a research paper.

--
David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/