Re: ListPlot: Choose segents to draw.

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg82368] Re: ListPlot: Choose segents to draw.
  • From: Peter <petsie63 at>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 05:01:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Oct 17, 10:13 am, Nacho <ncc1701... at> wrote:
> Hello all.
> Using Mathematica V6, I have several hundred lists to plot.
> They draw OK just with
> ListPlot[mytable, Joined->True,PlotRange->All]
> But several hundred plots are a mess. I'm only interested in the
> segments of each list that are increasing, that is, for every x(i),
> x(i)>x(i+1).
> Is there any set of options to ListPlot to make the descending
> segments invisible? Some kind of MeshShading to choose betweet
> Automatic and None depending of two consecutive values.
> If I have to create a new mytable, please bear in mind that the total
> length of the lists must remain equal.
> Thanks a lot for your help.

from the context I guess you mean x(i)<x(i+1) ?

AFAIK, there's no such Option to ListPlot, but it's easy to simulate
such behaviour. You do not tell us if your data has got x- and y-
values or if it is a list of single values. So I'll show you both:

valuedata = (pointdata = ({#1, Sin[#1]} & ) /@ (Pi*0.02*Range[0, 100]))
ListPlot[pointdata, PlotJoined -> True]; (* just to verify if
everything is OK so far *)
cleanup[tbl:{{__?NumericQ}..}] := ({GrayLevel[Boole[Last[Subtract @@
      Line[Join[#1]]} & ) /@ Partition[tbl, 2, 1];
cleanup[tbl:{__?NumericQ}] := cleanup[Thread[{Range[Length[tbl]],
(Show[Graphics[cleanup[#1]], Axes -> True] & ) /@ {pointdata,

This will draw decreasing linesegments in white, the rest in black.