Creating and installing one's own packages?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82704] Creating and installing one's own packages?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 05:33:54 -0500 (EST)

I have a general understanding of what a 'package' is.  I understand (I
think) that one can prepare a notebook, and then save (or install?) that
notebook as a package.  And somewhere in the fragmented documentation
on packages I also found the sentence:

      "There are also capabilities that allow packages set up to
         correspond to notebooks to be maintained automatically."

N ow, the tutorial "Setting Up Mathematica Packages" gives me a model
or outline or template for a package, which I can use as a guide to
create ("set up?") my own package -- as a notebook, anyway.

But I'll be g-ddamned if I can find anywhere, in that tutorial or
anywhere else in the Mathematica 6 documentation, explicit instructions
on:

*  How to then convert that notebook into a package, or
   where to save it as such after conversion.

*  Where to save the parent notebook itself (or a copy of it),
   as an unconverted notebook.

*  How to later modify or edit or update the package itself,
   as I'm likely to want to do:  Update the package itself?
   (And if so, how to get at it?)  Update the parent notebook
   and then convert -- and Install? -- again?

[Note that the word "Install" does not seem to appear anywhere in the
"Setting Up Mathematica Packages" tutorial.]