v6.0.1 problems translating previous notebooks...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80802] v6.0.1 problems translating previous notebooks...
  • From: jrc <jrchaff at mcn.net>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 02:54:27 -0400 (EDT)

As I mentioned in 'Another v601 problem ...' above, dated
today 9/1/2007, I had a problem translating a v5.2 notebook
which worked fine before v6.0.1.

The 'problem' turned out not to involve 'Piecewise' at all,
but rather that Mathematica v6.0.1 has inserted extra spaces "" into
the equation line, which are invisible to the user at first
glance.

I found them, finally, by noting that, side-by-side, one
instance of the variable 'r' was colored blue (unknown) while
another was black (???). Rewriting the subexpression did
recolor them both blue, but now I got the error 'xxx cannot
be followed by ""'. Hmmm. Using shifted left arrow (<-) I
was able to highlight the extra spaces and delete them.
(Simply putting the cursor there and deleting did not work.)

Then everything was fine. Sheesh. I gather one must suspect
the simple notebook translation algorithms. This was, by the
way, *after* applying all the 'suggestions'; Mathematica 6.0.1 said
it could not translate the specific line, which started my
troubleshooting.

Hope this may help some others, or perhaps this is old
news.

Dick Chaffer
Bozeman, MT