Re: Re: Rule-based programming: declare variables to be a number

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80822] Re: [mg80797] Re: Rule-based programming: declare variables to be a number
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 06:12:35 -0400 (EDT)
On 2 Sep 2007, at 08:51, David Bailey wrote:

> As others have commented, it is not a good idea to write code like
> NumericQ[g]=True because this changes the basic operation of
> Mathematica. For example, such code might work OK until you try to
> combine it with some more code that needs NumericQ for something else!
>
> David Bailey
> http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk

Who are the "others"?
Anyway, I completely disagree with this statement in this particular
context.

  NumericQ has clearly been designed with this in mind. Note, for
example, that althou NumericQ is Protected, a definition like

NumericQ[a]=True

does not require unprotecting NumericQ. Moreover, it does not add a
DownValue to NumericQ.

NumericQ[g] = True;
DownValues[NumericQ]
{}

There are plenty of other reasons to believe that all all
theseproperties of NumericQ are designed precisely for this type of
use. Besides, I have another reason to think that no probems of the
kind you are imagining would happen in this case: I have been using
NumericQ inprecisly this way for about 10 years in numerous notebooks
without any problems.

Note alo the post from Carl Woll which, I think, can be regarded as
an "offcial" WRI authorization for this kind of usage ;-)

(However, note also that using Carl's definition:

In[19]:= g /: NumericQ[g] = True;

Dos not actually add an UpValue to g:

UpValues[g]
{}

and I don't think it has any advantage over the more straightforward

NumericQ[g] = True;

I am sure all this is deliberate design, and even though it may not
be easy to explain, it is very convenient.

Andrzej Kozlowski