Labelled matrix plot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80925] Labelled matrix plot
  • From: Yaroslav Bulatov <yaroslavvb at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 05:13:06 -0400 (EDT)

I'd like to do a matrix plot of a 72x72 matrix with columns/rows
labelled.
I implemented it by making 72^2 rectangles and arranging them in a
Grid, and after some tweaking of Spacings/ItemSize it looks just right
on screen, but I can't figure out how to save the result in an image.

1. The expression is too big to fit on screen so "Right Click/Copy As"
only copies part of it
2. Exporting the Grid as a PNG file cuts off the part not showing on
the screen
3. Graphics[Inset[grid]] changes the color, spacing, and leaves out
non-graphical label elements
4. Saving as HTML file cuts off the file before the grid

Am I running into some built-in limitations of Grid? And if so, what
is the recommended way of implementing
a labelled matrix plot? (this is in Mathematica 6.0.1)

http://www.yaroslavvb.com/research/ideas/hmms/real-matrices/labelled-matrix-plot-bug.nb
http://www.yaroslavvb.com/research/ideas/hmms/real-matrices/labelled-matrix-plot-bug3.html