Re: private routines in mathematica 6 packages?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81048] Re: private routines in mathematica 6 packages?
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 04:04:27 -0400 (EDT)

Tanim Islam wrote:

> How do I make certain functions within a mathematica package private or
> protected? By private or protected, I mean that these functions cannot be
> called directly by the user in a mathematica notebook.

Enclose all your function within a private block (f and g in the example
below). Write a usage message for the functions that must be exported (f
in our case), everything else will be hidden (that is g in the toy example).

-------------------------- beginning of the file -----------------------

BeginPackage["mypackage`"]

f::usage = "f[x] returns the square of the sin of x."

Begin["`Private`"]

g[x_] := Sin[x]

f[x_] := g[x]^2

End[ ]