RE: Title and subtitle ideas?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81049] RE: Title and subtitle ideas?
  • From: "Brewis, Mark" <mark.brewis at eds.com>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 04:04:58 -0400 (EDT)

Since this is a subtitle, I doubt they can raise much comment.  It is descriptive, rather than an attempt at passing-off.  Had you chosen Nmap: The Definitive Guide, then that might be a little too close for comfort.

However, O'Reilly don't have the monopoly on 'The Definitive Guide' - McGraw-Hill Professional also use it, so it is fair game, as have Pavilion, Bloomberg Press, Chronicle Books, The Mountaineers Books, Kodansha International, Billboard Books, Backbeat Books...

That has made me wonder whether it is too cliched?  However, it is short, snappy and highly descriptive, which is exactly what is needed.

There are some other suggestions to try outbelow, but I still like Port Scanner, because that descibes the fundamental Nmap.  That isn't to take anything away from what it has become, but rather describes the immutable core function.  By fundamental I do not mean basic, but rather fundamental as a principle, law, etc., that serves as the basis of an idea or system.

If someone wanted to write a new port scanner, they would have to compare it with Nmap at some point.

Anyway :-)

I don't think Network Scaner works - too repetative:

Nmap Network Scanning

The Definitive Guide to the Definitive Network Scanner

---

Nmap Network Scanning

The Authorised Guide to the Definitive Network Scanner

---

Nmap Network Scanning

The Definitive Guide to the Definitive Security Scanner

---

Nmap Network Scanning

The Authorised Guide to the Definitive Security Scanner

---

Nmap Network Scanning

The Absolute Guide to the Definitive Network Scanner

---

Nmap Network Scanning

The Absolute Guide to the Definitive Security Scanner