Re: Slow Show/Graphics in v6.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81072] Re: Slow Show/Graphics in v6.0
  • From: mcmcclure at unca.edu
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 18:56:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Sep 8, 4:05 am, Alex Shvydky <a... at lle.rochester.edu> wrote:
> My intention was to get the confirmation (and hopefully
> draw WR team's attention) that THE SAME CODE runs on
> v6.0 considerably slower than in v5.2.

And from your original post:
> It was not my intention to discuss here what should be
> the fastest algorithm..., but rather to compare the
> execution time for an IDENTICAL code on v6.0 and v5.2.

I think you're missing a major point here.  While
executing code written for V5 in V6 might be a
reasonable starting place for speed comparisons, it
is not reasonable to compare the results without
considering possible improvements that could be made
to the V6 code.

In Graphics, for example, wrapping a large number of
Points or Lines in a single head is an important step
to get V6 Graphics to render efficiently.  This was not
an option in V5 since it was unimportant for the V5
engine.

> Frankly, I am quite surprised that some of the forum
> members treat these horrible slow downs as something
> that should be expected and accept it rather than
> voice their concern.

Clearly these are things that are worth discussing and
in fact there are some slowdowns.  I'm pretty confident
that Wolfram is working on them, as they've already
released V6.0.1.

Mark