Re: Re: Kernel and frontend crash with ANY Graphics3D objects

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81144] Re: [mg81132] Re: Kernel and frontend crash with ANY Graphics3D objects
  • From: Curtis Osterhoudt <cfo at lanl.gov>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 03:29:43 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, John,

   I have ended up using the ATI driver (as it seems faster and easier on
machine RAM) unless I think I'm going to fool with 3D graphics objects; then
I use the xorg mesa driver. I'm quite sure that I got the ATI driver, and
Mathematica, and Graphics3D working together, but with a slightly earlier
linux kernel (2.6.22.3 rather than 2.6.22.6).

   Of course, AMD has supposedly now released their driver specs, so maybe
there will soon appear more compatible drivers.

      Thanks for the hint! I've resorted to such things for the time being.

 Curtis

On Thursday 13 September 2007 04:31:18 j.f.b.payne at tesco.net wrote:
> Hi Curtis,
>
> I use the ATI X1300 with Linux.  I've found the ATI Linux drivers to
> be often buggy, although at least version 8.40.4 didn't hang my
> machine as some earlier versions did.
>
> At present, I'm using the vesa driver (at a performance cost, but at
> least it seems a solid implementation).
>
> If you want to try, you need to edit
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf (back it up first!) to put
> Driver "vesa"
> where currently you have
> Driver "something about ATI Radeon..."
>
> I hope this is useful until WRI fix the problem
>
> John

Curtis Osterhoudt
cfo at remove_this.lanl.and_this.gov
PGP Key ID: 0x4DCA2A10