Re: Kernel and frontend crash with ANY Graphics3D objects

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81132] Re: Kernel and frontend crash with ANY Graphics3D objects
  • From: j.f.b.payne at tesco.net
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 06:31:18 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Curtis,

I use the ATI X1300 with Linux.  I've found the ATI Linux drivers to
be often buggy, although at least version 8.40.4 didn't hang my
machine as some earlier versions did.

At present, I'm using the vesa driver (at a performance cost, but at
least it seems a solid implementation).

If you want to try, you need to edit
/etc/X11/xorg.conf (back it up first!) to put
Driver "vesa"
where currently you have
Driver "something about ATI Radeon..."

I hope this is useful until WRI fix the problem

John