Previous version features for 2-D and 3-D plots

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81175] Previous version features for 2-D and 3-D plots
  • From: Aranthon <a.dwarf at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 03:45:50 -0400 (EDT)

Hello all,

I'm still getting used to the new interactive graphic features in V6,
and I'm stuck on trying to figure out how to do a couple things:

In previous versions, if you held down ctrl when you clicked inside a
2-D plot, you could read back the coordinates for where you clicked,
which was very hand for figuring out specific critical points and
events.  How is that accomplished in V6?  Alternately, is there a way
to interactively zoom in on a 2-D plot?  What I've found so far seems
to do with 3-D plots.

Also, is the Viewpoint Inspector still around?  I love the ability to
interactively rotate the graphic to help find the best viewing angle,
but there are times when the inspector would come in handy, in
particular when I need to set multiple graphs to the same viewpoint.
Alternately, is there an easy way to replicate the options from one
graphic to another?

Oh, and one more note regarding the online-docs vs the printed book -
I miss the printed book.  I often find myself in a sort of
documentation loop where I inadvertently navigate back to the same
pages when trying to track something down.  It sometimes feels like
I'm in some kind of "Who's on First" hell, where I keep coming back to
"Third base!"  I remember reading that Wolfram said they had no
intention of printing a new version of the Mathematica Book,. but I
hope they reconsider.  I've seen the threads where people have
reconstituted the book from the online docs; they're good, but it's
not the same.

Thanks,

Greg