Re: Input Format

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg81215] Re: Input Format
  • From: David Bailey <dave at>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 04:02:46 -0400 (EDT)

roby.nowak at wrote:
> hello,
> I prefer using a line by line postfix notation for sequential data
> processing.
> e.g. there is some data which has to be processed sequentialy by a
> number of dataprocessing functions, if you input the whoole thing Mathematica
> formats like this:
> data //
>     R //
>    S //
>   T //
> this is not very nice for my usage and results from the fact that Mathematica
> generates \[IndentingNewLine] for every <RETURN> key pressed..
> i would rather had it formatted like this (or similar):
> data //
>     R //
>     S //
>     T //
> i could enter
> data//\[NewLine]\[RawTab]R//\[NewLine]\[RawTab]S//\[NewLine]\
> [RawTab]T//\[NewLine]\[RawTab]U
> but this is not realy a pleasure.
> is there a short way to key in \[NewLine] instead of \
> [IndentingNewLine]
> any suggestions ?
> thx robert
You can edit a .m file with 6.0, and the system works more like a text
editor - so you can lay it out as you like. The only problem is that
because the file isn't a notebook, it will not retain any results that
you generate. On the other hand, you could execute the .m file using

Alternatively, as others have suggested, it may be better to adopt a new
way of working that is more in tune with Mathematica!

David Bailey