Re: Exporting 3D vector graphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81221] Re: Exporting 3D vector graphics
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 04:05:55 -0400 (EDT)

Robertcop wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to export 3D plots with transparency from Mathematice to
> import them in PowerPoint.
>
> The problem is that PowerPoint can not import pdf files and in the eps
> files there is no transparency.
>
> Emf or wmf are the standard Microsoft vector formats so they would be
> the best choice for importing into powerpoint, I think. However, the
> exported emf or wmf files from 3D graphics look terrible and seem not
> to to be a vector graphics but rasterized.
>
> Is there are a proper way or workaround to export vector graphics with
> transparency and use them in PowerPoint?

Vector graphics have no advantage over bitmap graphics in this
situation.  Just export a high-resolution PNG from Mathematica, and use
that.  For any 3D object of reasonable complexity, there will be no
significant differences in file size.

But vector formats do have disadvantages: 3D objects with transparency,
exported as PDF, look awful in most (not all) PDF viewers:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_frm/thread/2f61a13953fc1973/553f73ed80fea6c3

--
Szabolcs